In ‘Persephone’s picnic: A meeting of minds in the desert’, from Griffith Review 52: Imagining the Future, Kieran Finnane describes how Jungian analyst Craig San Roque is forging understanding and accord between Aboriginal communities and European settlers via the use of ancient Greek myths of agriculture and fertility.
Kieran Finnane is a journalist and arts writer. She has lived in Alice Springs since 1987. A founding journalist of the Alice Springs News, she also contributes arts writing and journalism to national publications. Her book, Trouble: On Trial in Central Australia, was published by UQP in 2016.
‘The past is a place that fades from your mind as you drive steadily into the darkness ahead. When you leave your mother, or your childhood, there is no return; instead, you find some way to forge ahead, to remake whatever has been unmade and to strip away those parts of yourself that threaten the life you’ve patched together.’
In his piece from Griffith Review 55: State of Hope, ‘Bigger than heaven’, Shannon Burns struggles to come to terms with his vain and violent mother, and his dysfunctional childhood in Elizabeth North.
Shannon Burns lives in Adelaide with his wife and two sons.
Griffith Review’s Contributors Circle membership is available exclusively to our contributors, past and present, on an annual subscription basis.
Contributors Circle subscribers are members of a unique community of writers, and are the first to hear about themes and deadlines for upcoming editions, writing competitions and any other opportunities on offer.
For a $100 annual subscription fee, Contributors Circle membership offers an ever-expanding range of benefits, including:
- Annual Premium Subscription (print + digital);
- All entry fees for our major writing prizes and fellowships are waived for members (this currently includes 2017/18 Griffith Review Fellowships round, and our annual Novella Project competitions);
- Exclusive eligibility for our annual Contributors Circle Varuna competition. Each year, up to four week-long residencies at Varuna, The Writers’ House are open to Contributors Circle members ONLY. Upon application, judged by Griffith Review staff;
- Advance notice of upcoming edition themes and calls for submissions;
- Public acknowledgement on our website and contributor content featured... Read more